Thursday, June 28, 2007

NC Aquarium Photoblog.

100_0326_ENH
100_0326_ENH
Entrance to North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher.
This past Saturday was the second time in less than a month that the Teleospouse and I had the same day off. (See this photoblog on the Tryon Palace in New Bern, NC). This time we went back to the coast for a little beach time and a visit to the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher (just south of Kure Beach.) Here is Google Maps' eye-in-the-sky view of the aquarium grounds. (If you are interested in visiting and need directions just click the link and zoom out.)

Whenever we both take out our cameras I have a rather complicated perspective on the event. On the one hand, I am rather competitive and I tend to look on it as a contest so I want to take the best photos. On the other hand, I gave her the camera for her birthday and new cameras confuse her and make her cranky, so considerations of domestic tranquility make it highly desirable for her photos to come out well. And then again, there is the matter of my camera having more features, doodads and gizmos than hers; If I can't take a better picture with my bigger, bewilderingly-complicated camera than she takes with her simple point-and-shoot then my standing as technological man is rather tenuous. But then yet again, no man ever really won a competition with his wife...

100_1299_ENH
Reef Scene (me)

100_1295_ENH
Clam (me)

100_1251
Loggerhead Turtle (me)

100_1269_ENH
Seahorse (me)

100_1242_ENH
Salamander (me)

100_0288_ENH
Water Lilies from below (her)

100_1247_ENH
Slider (me)

100_1220_ENH
Juvenile(?) White Ibises (me)

100_1230_ENH
Juvenile(?) White Ibis (me)

100_1240_ENH

Water Lily (me)

100_0285_ENH

Water Lily (her)

So, I know that we weren't really competing for the best photo... but if we were competing, how would I score it? My photos, on average, came out better than hers. The interior of the aquarium poses a number of difficult problems for hand-held photography (low light, quickly moving subjects) and neither of our cameras was particularly up to the task. On the other hand the best photo of the day was her water lily shot.

Update: I had originally misattributed the last photo to myself when it was actually taken by my wife and it is the photo that I refer to as the best of the day.

No comments: