Tuesday, April 05, 2005

More on The KGB and the Pope

Arnaud de Borchgrave offers more information about the evidence that the KGB was involved in the attempt to assasinate the pope a quarter century ago. As I said before the Pope outlived the regime that ordered the attempt on his life -- neither the Soviet Union nor the KGB is around any more.

The story of the Pope and the KGB doesn't have any legs right now, possibly because people feel that it is old news. But it's worth remembering that Putin is an old KGB guy and he's still here. Don't get me wrong -- I rather admire Putin; he is a prince among Russian leaders, no doubt, and usually makes the best of a bad situation. I also like polar bears. They are easily the most appealing, likable man-eaters at the zoo. Tigers may be pretty but polar bears are more fun. I like polar bears, but there are certain realities about them that one must keep in mind.

No comments: