Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blinded by my anti-Reuters Bias

If you have read my blog you will have noticed that the Reuters news service and I do not see eye-to-eye on most issues. I have removed most of the Reuters feeds for hard news from my MyYahoo home page since their outrageous slanting of the news tends to distract me. I do let Yahoo display a few Reuters headlines from the Reuters "Science" and "Internet Report" feeds, and even there Reuters manages to annoy me. A recent story in their "Internet Report," for instance, reported Rupert Murdoch's acquisition of the "MySpace" web site -- an online community that is very popular with teens and young adults. Reuters, being quite liberal in its outlook, is not particularly fond of conservative Murdoch (founder of Fox news) and their report on the acquisition focused primarily on the problem of pedophile sexual predators in online communities. (MySpace: Murdoch's big hope, parents' nightmare).

But every now and then my anti-Reuters bias can make me pass over a good story. Case in point is the story in Reuters Science entitled Suit may prevent maternal deaths during childbirth. I passed on that story several times thinking Oh great. Another medical class-action lawsuit. Just what we need. But when I did get around to reading the story I find that the "suit" is a garment -- a compression garment worn on the extremities that appears to greatly reduce the risk of shock associated with blood loss during childbirth. Its rather an interesting story actually, and worth reading.

No comments: